Friday, February 1, 2013

Outdoor Skating Oval for Hamilton

I went skating last Saturday at the outdoor rink down by the Harbour near the Williams Coffee Pub. It was good, and pretty busy. I may go back this month, but probably during the week during the day when it is a bit quieter.

I've noticed that some European cities actually have relatively big ovals outside that you can skate on, allowing a lot more opportunity to go fast and actually get some exercise. Admittedly an oval of a reasonable size would be expensive to maintain, especially if it was refrigerated, however I think it could be a good amenity for Hamilton to have. Gage Park might not be a bad site and would get some more use during the winter. I haven't heard anywhere else in Southern Ontario having one, so it would be a unique feature for Hamilton.

Of course with the way winter has gone lately in Hamilton,  outdoor rinks just might not be feasible.

No comments:

Post a Comment